Miltec UV completes project

A partnership project carried out by Miltec UV and the University of Maryland has been completed.

The Quest Capstone Consulting Project kicked off in January, the honour students were tasked to develop a strategy to help Miltec UV choose a method of commercialisation for its ceramic coating technology. This technique is less expensive, safer and more effective than the current process used to manufacture lithium ion batteries.

The team consisted of electrical engineer, Katelyn Walter, mechanical engineer, Austin Kendall, accounting and finance honour student, Jessica Lewis and finance honour student, Tim Odukale. The recommendation was a dual sided approach that allows  Miltec to maximise profits while providing the flexibility to customise the strategy based on the customer’s needs. The strategies were to partner with a coater who would coat the separator while Miltec UV maintains the customer relationship or licensing the coating technology to the customer, and providing the equipment to coat the separators.

Miltec UV executives are extremely impressed by the financial and risk modules presented by the team. Marilyn Blandford, CEO of Miltec, said: “This type of research and business modelling would have taken Miltec a year to complete in house. We were impressed with how quickly the students were able to create viable solutions for Miltec and produce deliverables that we will be able to use in the future. This initiate was a huge success and we will continue to utilise the Quest Program to help us solve business, engineering and technology challenges.”

Related content