Aerobal reports satisfactory results for first half of 2017
Members of the International Organisation of Aluminium Aerosol Container Manufacturers (Aerobal) have announced that during the first half of 2017 they delivered 2.9 billion aluminium aerosol cans worldwide. This means that the output is more or less at the same level as 2016, a year that ended with record results for the industry.
Gregor Spengler, Aerobal secretary general, noted: “The trend for deodorants was especially favourable. Growth there reached a good 5% in the first half of 2017.
“Unfortunately, we did not expand at quite the same rate with haircare products and shaving cream. Both segments were down from their mid-year level last year.”
Around 80% of total production continues to be used for body care and beauty products. The pharmaceutical sector, the food industry and the markets for household and chemical/technical products make use of the remaining 20% of production output.
Spengler said the only drawbacks in the favourable mid-year figures were the higher commodity costs. “First of all, the rising aluminium prices naturally play a role in this regard. But the prices of lacquers, varnishes and printing inks have also increased considerably.”
Regardless of this situation, the industry has quite optimistic expectations for the second half of the year.
Eric Frantz, Aerobal president, expressed confidence that the positive results of the previous year can be achieved again in 2017: “The great powers of innovation our industry displays are impressive. The many new product ideas make me very optimistic about the continued success of aluminium aerosols.
“The wealth of ideas is reflected, inter alia, in the high rate of participation in our Aerobal Can Award and in the prize-winning cans. In particular, aluminium has unique characteristics as a material and is perfectly recyclable.
“Thanks to these traits, aluminium aerosol cans will continue to improve their position in the global packaging market. These trumps are crucial to the high aspirations of the industry to produce sustainable packaging for future generations.”